Wednesday, February 16, 2011

friendship

friendship

it's a subject that keeps coming up all around me lately....

a lesson learned from a close friend suddenly going to be with Jesus - we don't actually have all the time in the world. we have to make the most of each day. will i be making time for all of my friends when i go? not likely. at least not as likely as it was for carrisa! i sure haven't been the friend that she was....

a book found while organizing things for caleb's arrival. a devotional about being an encouraging friend. one that carrisa and i went through together a long time ago - just the two of us ... how easily i had forgotten the things learned there. she must have taken it to heart, because man, she was a good friend!!!

a day at MOPS after skipping out for at least a year ... the speaker speaks on - you guessed it - friendship!! - loving each other deeply -- overcoming obstacles -- praying for one another -- sharing time together....

wow

lately the girls and i have been getting together every friday night, and it has surprised me how healing it has been for me! precious, precious TIME. several months ago, before carrisa's death, one of my close friends came to me with some deep hurts that i had played a part in causing. i had no idea... but i did have to evaluate my own attitude toward friendship - not just that friendship, but what kind of friend i am in general.

i realized that i had somehow become an extremely crappy friend.

after months and months of soul-searching and lessons learned, i have come to a few conclusions:

1. i value genuineness and time the most in relationships. I haven't given these things to my friendships, even though i crave them from those i love most.
2. my priorities were RIGHT in making my family's needs first, but it was still wrong how neglectful i had become of other important relationships.
3. i didn't have to change much -- just place a little more value and a little less neglect on those friendships. true friendships are quite resilient!!
4. i still have a LOT to learn, and a lot i'm confused about... but The Lord is faithful to teach me, in time.
5. prayer is really important, and helps me think rightly about things (duh?)

1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 13




1 comment:

cherie sakschewski said...

Becky and I had a conversation about you a while back. We rarely talk about you because we know how fragile the ground is. She reminded me of how you are able to focus on the things that matter. Oh. how I envy that. While Im a Martha...you are a Mary.....Here I am longing for a friend because Im too busy taking care of "responsibilties" and pridefully so at times. I have tears flowing as I type this because Im so tired. I learn from you. I need to be a friend if I want a true friend. I would love to have the title of that devotional you did with Carrisa. I observe the rich,deep friendships and fellowship that you and Lyndsey embrace and thank God that you both have people that have your backs. It is good to be reminded that is rare. Do you know that is rare? Like a treasure. Your priorities are right. Even when I still scold you for staying up too late because I love you. Im happy for you and Lyndsey. It blesses my heart every time I think of it.