Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Valentine Gift from Jesus!

Ok, so here's what I get for writing in the last post that my hubby "forgets to make time for quality time" (hey, it's true, he does) ---

BUT, I have been a little bit humbled by his recent actions (or LACK of actions, I guess I should say!)

Last night we were invited to the Candler's house for the annual Valentine party that they throw, where they go all-out on decorations, awesome food, prizes, and we all get to dress up all fancy, and play Catan Cities and Knights as couple-teams.

I asked Seth weeks ago what he thought we should do with the kids while we go to the party, and he suggested that James just stay the night at Playcare if they had an opening, and that we get my parents to take Josiah over-night, so that there is no time limit on our game at the Candlers, we're not trying to rush home for a babysitter who has to stay into the wee hours of the night, etc. I thought this was a wonderful idea, so I worked on arranging it, and it all fell into place nicely. Which is a miracle from God. Not kidding. Those are my kind of miracles!!! haha!!!

Life has been extremely crazy lately. I have an extremely WILD child (Josiah), who literally runs in circles just to run in circles, AND I am pregnant and growing LARGER by the minute, so it's not exactly easy to CHASE him these days!!! And then of course there is James and all of his needs, and Seth has been busy, busy, busy, busy, busy with work, helping people, etc. He never sits. I wonder where Josiah gets it...... hmmm....

ANYWAY, I am just a TIRED momma!!! Did I already say that? Oh yeah, only ten times per post the last four hundred posts. haha..

SO, when Seth said that he was going to blow off his plans for yesterday (Saturday) - all day - yes, you heard me, I said ALL DAY! --- and just hang out with us, I was um, skeptical, but SO thankful, and actually the RELIEF I felt surprised me a little! This is a really, really big deal. I'm telling you, this DOESN'T happen around here!!

The day started with Seth letting me sleep in till 8:30, after I had been out a little (ok, a lot) too late with the girlies, watching DH the night before (I know.... but just shut up.) I took James to playcare at 11am, while Seth stayed here and put Josiah down for a nap. When I got home from Chico, we cleaned the house to prepare for a stress-free Sunday, and then Seth took Josiah and I to quiznos to get an order to-go, and then to Bille park for a picnic lunch and to play with a cheezy elmo kite, and hike around, getting wet in the creek, things like that. The sun was hot, but not too hot - perfect, actually. It was heaven on earth.

After that, we came home and laid in the Oma swing on our back patio. Seth moved it into the sun so we could bake some more. It was more heaven on earth. Josiah snuggled us for 0.0000000000001528 seconds, and then got down and started to dismantle the new gate that Seth just built, only to be called away from that mischief so that he could become our personal slave, rocking Seth and I in the Oma swing like a good little boy. HAHAHAHA!!! Child labor.

C'mon, he was loving it just as much as WE were!!

Then grandpa came to pick Josiah up. He took him back to the park, because, of course, Josiah still had plenty of energy for that!! :) Seth took a nap while I updated my baby shower registry and then took a bath. I have been WAY into baths these days. Have you noticed? We both got all spiffed up and then headed over to the Candlers.

It gets better.

Oh, did I mention that Seth and I TALKED a lot about all kinds of wonderful nothing all day, too? Yeah, that was so nice, and sooooooo needed! One thing we mentioned to each other was how easy it was, really, to find babysitters for both kids - especially since they were in two different places, and one person wasn't overwhelmed with BOTH of them --- and how it would be so nice to do this again before the baby comes, but this time, get away for a night -- just get a simple hotel in Roseville and just rest. Nothing too extravagant. Nothing too expensive. Just 24 hours.

We were like, yeah right, we can't afford it, and besides all my "extra" money is going toward my birthday trip already, and projects, like our back lawn, etc.... so, I guess we shouldn't think about trying to do that before the baby is born.......

sigh...

Back to the Candlers - So, the decorations were AMAZING - so labor-intensive, romantic, thoughtful, sweet, and just plain beautiful. The food was delicious as usual (Ashley makes steak to die for!) -- and the desserts were SO delectable! Erika made tiramisu and I made chocolate mousse - both were "experiments" - and both turned out soooooooooo good. We played Cities and Knights, with the extra "valentine rules" that Ashley made up like three years ago. Every time a 7 is rolled, you have to kiss your spouse... every time a 3 is rolled, the women get a neck rub.... every time a 9 is rolled, the women have to compliment their men..... stuff like that. :) It mixes things up. It's really fun.

We gave each other little gifts and cards throughout the night that we had to bring over ahead of time. Ashley had little prizes for the first couple to settle a new island in the game, and things like that. She and Dave told us that there was a really great "grand prize" for the winners of the game that night. Everyone was curious about what it was...

It was a lovely, lovely, lovely ending to an already wonderful day! There were a lot of laughs and a lot of great conversation. I just love being with other people who love the Lord, and who know how to have a great time!

Seth and I won the game, and got the grand prize. It was a much bigger prize than any of us expected! It was a free one-night stay at the Mariott in Roseville. I am not even joking! I was like, "where did you guys get this?!" They said it didn't matter where they got it.

WHAT?

Yeah, we're kinda still in shock.

And now looking forward to our mini-vacation before the baby comes!!!!!!

Oh, and I know where they got the prize. They got it from The Lord, who knows exactly what we need, and likes to give good gifts to His children!

Thank you, Jesus for:

1. Longtime girlfriends who are like blood sisters that I can completely be myself with!
2. Rest.
3. Amazing parents who can't wait to spoil us by loving our kids to death all the time! Did I say all the time? Yeah. Really.
4. Playcare and the nurses there who so thoroughly care for James and all his many needs!
5. Other couple-friends who love YOU, who we can relate with, and who know how to throw a great party!
6. A free night in Roseville for a couple who loves each other SO much, and just need a little time away together.
7. A husband whose many strengths (ambition, servant, hardworking) cause him to have an extremely hard time SITTING, but who loves his wife enough to call it quits for a day, to give her his love in a language that she understands (TIME).

So, that's it. Not a big deal to you, maybe. A day at the park, eating quiznos, playing Settlers with friends and winning..... But such a TREAT for me!! :)

Happy Valentine's Day. And, thank you, Lord!

3 comments:

Teryn said...

it does sound like the BEST DAY EVER!!! I was smiling through the whole post! :)

Unknown said...

Lynae, It blesses me so much to read your blog. I'm so glad you guys had a great DAY and a fun time last night. Knowing that our friends have as much fun as we do and look forward to it as much as we do makes it so worth the effort! It makes us want to go bigger every year. I think you jinxed me though. When you told me that you look forward to my tri tip I think it made me nervous and I ended up overcooking it...this year's wasn't my greatest. :o)
What's funny is when Dave suggested to me the grand prize idea I remember thinking to myself that I hope the couple who needs it most wins it....I'm so glad the Lord knows best! Enjoy your trip....and cashing all those checks!!! ;o) Love you!

Adam, Ashley and Lucy said...

WOW! This was a great post! I'm so excited for you two and can't even imagine what one night away will do for your energy and strength. Love you and am missing you more and more. I've decided I can't hang out with my friends in Paradise because it makes me want to move back. Ha!