Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Noah tonight, Isaac and the Ram tomorrow

Tonight's Advent reading was the story of Noah's Ark. I am learning to keep the stories simple, and to do them early in the evening before everyone (including daddy!) gets too tired! We've had some sweet conversations. Even Caleb sat with us tonight, on the rug, in front of the fireplace and the tree.

After our discussion, we looked at this book, which has really great pictures, showing what it must have been like for Noah and his family to live on the ark with all those animals for all that time!

Tomorrow's story is about when God asked Abraham to take his son, Isaac, and offer him as a sacrifice.

Who in the world can completely understand this story themselves, let alone teach it to their little ones!? 

In searching for an answer to this question, I stumbled across these words by Ann Voskamp of the blog, A Holy Experience. Well said, Ann....

Laying Down Isaac

I use that word, “sacrifice” but I don’t really have the foggiest heart-comprehension of its meaning.

Hold a baby, look into his or her eternal black eyes, and think “sacrifice.” And I don’t mean diapers, or parenting or college savings. Think of the sacrifice of an altar and blood and death…and empty, lifeless eyes. Wild horses couldn’t drag that baby out of a Mama’s arms to throw up on a cold tablet of stone. But a Father’s love compelled Him to lay down His only begotten son on a rugged cross…and He knew that from the beginning. From that first inhaling of manger air, He knew sacrifice.

He came for it.
Lord, Abraham called that place “The Lord will Provide.” And I call this moment in time, 

“The Lord has Provided”. 

Provision for my salvation has been made—because You come. 
~Ann Voskamp

No comments: