Friday, December 16, 2011

2011 Year in Review - Part 1 - James

I started writing a Christmas letter, and then I realized that James' update took up the entire page, even when I tried to be brief, so I decided to put the year in review on the blog instead, since people who read my blog don't seem to mind my rambling, or you wouldn't be reading this right now, right?

HA!

So, I will begin this "part 1" of "the Condit Family 2011 in review" with my oldest love, James.


Merry Christmas
     from the Condit Family 2011

It is that time of year again when we reflect on all of the many blessings and trials that the Lord has brought during the year. With three little ones at home, there is always a lot to report, so here we go!

I will begin with James....

He is growing into such a wonderful young man! He just has such a uniquely beautiful personality! He is so adorable and likable. He is extremely thoughtful and smart. I love hearing all of his thoughts on things, and having conversations with him about life and God and heaven and love and all kinds of wonders! He is cute, cute, cute, cute, cute!!!! Aside from the physical challenges and impossible decisions that his disability brings, he has just been the easiest and most joy-producing child to parent! I am very very very proud of the young man that he is becoming!

James started Kindergarten this year, with Mrs. Janosz at Ponderosa Elementary School. His teacher and principal are amazing, and I am really happy with all of the staff that is working with him. He has won all of their hearts, which I’m sure doesn’t surprise you in the least!

James loves Kindergarten. He is really blossoming, and being challenged in so many ways. He rides the bus everyday, and he even rides the bus to Chico on Wednesday afternoons for physical and occupational therapy. His nurse, Cora goes with him to therapy, and they come home every week with new exercises and other things to try. Cora has been working for our family for almost a year now, and she is the PERFECT fit for us and for James. She is a gift directly from the hand of God! I really couldn’t ask for a better nurse for my sweetie.

He got approved to receive an ipad from the school district, which is so very exciting! He will be using various apps which will help him to meet Kindergarten standards for writing and other subjects that require fine motor skills. There are also a ton of fun games and other recreational and educational uses for it. We are saving up to get him one that he can have for home use as well.

James’ health has improved miraculously over the last year. I think that 2011 was the first year that we didn't spend in the hospital again and again and again for surgeries and such. This is God's sufficient grace at work, because the year started with me being very pregnant, and fragile, and just way too tired for such things! We did have a few 911 calls with extremely high fevers due to a string of UTIs, but the good thing that came out of that whole fiasco is that James now has a new pediatrician who is SO GREAT. 

We did spend some time in the hospital this year, but I guess what I'm saying is that it hasn't been one thing after another after another after ANOTHER! And I am one thankful THANKFUL momma for that!! 

After years of struggle with so much vomit and not getting him the nourishment he needs, he finally got a g-tube placed this year, and it has been a relief for me to be able to feed him that way. He can be on a drip feeding of formula at night, which he tolerates pretty well, and he is at least getting some calories that way, even if he throws everything else up during the day! SIGH.

After his sudden and unexplainable loss of function at the end of the year last year, we were not sure what to expect, and the doctors didn’t have any answers for us, and didn’t give us much hope. He is crawling again, though, and able to use his hands for all kinds of tasks, like moving himself around in his wheel chair and his mobile stander, and has even been doing some fine motor activities as well. It is very encouraging, and we give all the praise and thanks and glory to God for giving him this healing and strength. 

Nothing is impossible with our God!

James’ teacher asked each child in his class the question, “What is Christmas?” Out of 24 students, all but 3 had the word “presents” or “Santa” in their answers. It really shouldn’t be that shocking to me how lost the true meaning of Christmas has become in our society, but even a room full of young children think it’s all about Santa. It is extremely sad… But I am proud of my James. His answer was simply, “love.” I asked him, “Why did you say that Christmas is all about love?” and he said, “Because it’s Jesus’ birthday, Mom!”

LOVE THAT BOY! 

To be continued.......

No comments: