Sunday, July 25, 2010

Instead, you ought to say "IF it is the Lord's will..."

13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.
James 4:13-16

As you can tell if you read any of my blog or facebook postings, we have been having a very hard time around here. My amazing mom did like she always does and took care of us by preparing an entire mexican meal for us to have in our fridge so that I wouldn't have to think about cooking after taking James to his appointment in Sacramento on Friday, for which we had to leave town at 3:30am. Yes, I said A-M. I was extremely thankful because I was DEAD tired after a long night of - um - let's just say major breakdown on thursday night, and then leaving at 3:30am on Friday morning for Sacramento. Friday afternoon I went out to our garage fridge to get the enchiladas and stuff my mom made so I could cook it before Seth got home from work. Well, the fridge got left open a crack -- and it was a very, very HOT day in Paradise...

um, yeah, we ordered a pizza.


- SIGH -

Saturday morning I woke up thinking that I would be the proud new owner of a gorgeous blue 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan by that evening. I had spoken to the van owner on Wednesday, we negotiated a price, and I said that I could come down the next day to buy it. He said that he had to work until Friday night, and that Saturday, Sunday, or Monday would be better for him. I said that I could wait until Saturday, and that my husband would be there around 1 or 2pm on Saturday, with cash in hand, to buy it.. We had a verbal agreement. I spoke to him and e-mailed back and forth with him several more times, confirming our time, and giving him my information so that he could get a bill of sale ready, and so on...

On Saturday morning, Seth and Lenny were about to leave for a 3 1/2 hour drive to Walnut Creek to buy the van when the owner of the van called me to say that there was another interested party and he will need to call me in 20 minutes. When he finally called us back after nearly an hour, he said that the other people offered him a better deal, and that he was very, very sorry. I was LIVID. I was so angry that I was literally shaking. I left him some "nice" messages after that. Oh man.

After the van ordeal, we took the kids to a neat little kids' water park in Yuba City, with my mom and Lance. It was like healing balm on my heart to watch our two little loves play and have a blast in the water all day, and to have daddy with us, just having fun, which is a rare treat! I'm pretty sure there was no vomit, which is a complete miracle. Both kids were out like a light within seconds of getting in the car to head home. My mom kept James all afternoon, and Seth and I spent the day chatting and talking about God and life. It was a precious, rare jewel. What started as a very disappointing and stressful day turned out to be a blessed day after all!

This morning I woke up STILL sad about not getting the van. I didn't get my heart set on it until the very last minute, but when I did let myself get excited, I guess I really got attached.

We went to church as a family with no responsibilities, and no glitches. That's extremely rare, too. The scripture was Psalm 27. Here it is:

Psalm 27

Of David.
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh, a]">[a]
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.


His word encouraged me, and the fellowship today humbled me. Seeing people that I know have a lot more difficult things going on in their lives than losing a deal on a stupid van. We sang "He will not let you fall, He will not let you fall, HE IS NEVER WEARY, and He will not let you fall"


Ahhh, it is SO good that He is never weary, because I sure am!!!!!!


By the way, the appointment I took James to on Friday was for a test on his esophagus to see if it has healed up at all since we took milk and eggs out of his diet. They took pictures of the inside of his esophagus, and they are like NIGHT and DAY -- sooooo much better than the last time they did this same test before we knew about the milk and egg allergy. I was really surprised to see this result, because he has been vomiting so much again lately that I was sure that his esophagus was still all jacked up. I told the doctor that I was surprised and that he was still having severe symptoms.. she said that there is inflammation in his stomach that might account for the vomit, and that we will talk more about it at the follow up appointment.


I showed James the pictures and told him that his esophagus is healed. He asked, "how did it get healed, mommy?" and I said, "because you don't drink milk or eat eggs anymore." to which he said,

"no, mommy, that's not why. GOD healed my throat!"


smart cookie, that boy!! :)

1 comment:

Teryn said...

the "I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." is a verse God gave me when I was living with my aunt having a really hard time. I remember the night I moved in with the fosters, we were up late eating strawberry shortcake and I felt so at peace and safe for the first time in a long time. I knew that God had fulfilled that verse for me.

I had almost the same exact thing happen to me about a car back in college and I was so embarrassed afterwards for crying and freaking out over a car. It's funny because I don't even care about cars but at that moment I was devastated. The car I did get ended up being great for me and I know it will be the same for you!